Vacancy Announcement for National Personnel for the German International Cooperation / Strengthening the Resilience and Participation at local level in Yemen (SRPL) (PN. 19.1858.0-002.00) implemented by the GIZ Office Sana’a.
The wide range of services offered by the Deutsche Gesellschaft fuer Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH are based on a wealth of regional and technical expertise and on tried and tested management know–how. We are a German Federal enterprise and offer workable, sustainable and effective solutions in political, economic and social change processes.
The programme Strengthening Resilience and Participation at Local Level in Yemen (SRPL) is based on BMZ’s Strategy of Transitional Development Assistance (TDA): Overcoming Crises, Strengthening Resilience, Creating Prospects (02/2020). The programme contributes to the objectives of the following TDA fields of action: Rebuilding basic infrastructure and services, Food and nutrition security, and Peaceful and inclusive societies. The project objective, ‘The project has contributed to strengthening the resilience of local institutions and vulnerable population groups in Dhamar, Hadhramaut and Ibb Governorates’, is achieved through three strategically and conceptually interlinked fields of action. In so doing, measures designed to rehabilitate social and productive basic infrastructure in different sectors are implemented, subsidised by the programme, are complemented by measures to boost income generation in agriculture and fisheries.
The project comprises four closely linked components:
Component 1: " Capacity Development for Strengthening Basic Services "
Component 2: " Improve the productive livelihoods of vulnerable households "
Component 3: “Strengthening of the artisanal fisheries sector “
Component 4: " Promote peaceful coexistence geared towards local needs "
In the artisanal fisheries component, the advisor will take over responsibilities in the context of rehabilitation of landing sites in the Governorate of Hadhramout. The four key results of the artisanal fisheries component are: 1) rehabilitated infrastructure (landing and marketing), 2) reduced post-harvest losses – more fish for human consumption, 3) the use of content from income-generating training measures for women, young people and fishers, and 4) promoting a dialogue format for building trust between relevant authorities and members of the artisanal fisheries cooperatives, contribute to the objectives of improved hygiene, quality, marketing and greater market stability, and improved skills, employment and income opportunities and social stabilization.
With immediate effect the GIZ Office Sana’a invites applications from qualified Yemeni nationals for the following position:
- Position: Advisor (Construction)
- End of Contract: 30.04.2023
- Post Location: Al-Mukalla
The advisor is responsible for:
- providing all technical services in agreement with the management and in line with the governing GIZ rules and regulations
- performing technical activities and providing technical support to the project on infrastructure and construction projects throughout projects planning, design, tendering and execution/supervision
- handling all technical aspects related to consultancy services contracts of infrastructure and construction projects from initiation to closing
- undertaking daily operational aspects of all issues related to infrastructure and construction projects
- coordinating infrastructure and construction project matters with GIZ Headquarters, the relevant GIZ SRPL units and the targeted beneficiaries (Governorates, districts, relevant authorities and civil society organizations)
- coordinating data collection and compilation, and providing technical advices related to the monitoring and evaluation of infrastructure and construction projects
The advisor (construction):
- provides technical assistance and advices on all issues related to scope identification, planning, design and supervision of infrastructure and construction projects that get identified
- is jointly responsible with the Head of Construction for the supervision of the preparation of terms of reference for infrastructure and construction projects preliminary and feasibility studies, design, and supervision
- performs consultants' procurement, evaluation activities and consultancy services for contracts preparation in coordination with relevant colleagues
- monitors the work of international and national engineering consultants on the design, tendering, procurement and supervision activities
- participates in formulating projects action plans and helps in synchronising the planning and budgeting systems and counterparts relevant work
- conducts regular monitoring and evaluation site visits, writes technical reports on site visits and coordinates recommended actions with relevant parties
- takes a lead role in preparing progress and completion reports, and following up on the reporting process of infrastructure and construction projects
- participates in the elaboration of reports as per BMZ requirements
- coordinates and provides technical support in payments processes and administration between consultants/contractors and relevant colleagues
- ensures the timely implementation of construction projects according to agreed time schedules
- conducts evaluation of contractors’ claims in terms of additional works
- provides technical assistance on the elaboration of operational and maintenance plans
- ensures compliance between GIZ and the national procedures related to issuing of building licenses, procurement, contracts preparation and implementation.
- ensures cooperation, regular contact and dialogue with partners; carries out PR work and cooperates with local communities, relevant organisations, non-governmental agencies and individuals in the project/programme environment and with other projects to improve and maintain good working relationships
- is responsible to liaise with local governments and other appropriate bodies to ensure smooth implementation of the CfW measures/interventions
- provides technical assistance to local and international experts
- communicates local interests and efforts, forwards these and encourages sharing ideas and information for the benefit of the project/programme
- maintains repeated field visits to the regions in accordance with the requirements of the component 2 and the project
- travels (abroad) in the region regularly, in accordance with project requirements.
- develops and maintains contacts with governorate/district officials, community representatives and consultants as well as other stakeholders and maintain regular contact and dialogue
- communicates local interests and efforts, and encourages sharing ideas and information for the benefit of the project
- gets involved in advisory activities and meetings with relevant stakeholder (e.g. Districts, and Governorates, Communities) when needed
- provides technical and operational assistance to local and international experts
- supports the project personnel with their communication and networking activities on technical related matters
- compiles lessons learnt from projects implementation and makes them available to the company
- performs other duties and tasks at the request of management.
Required qualifications, competences and experience
- master’s degree in engineering (civil engineering, infrastructure planning, architecture or comparable qualification).
- at least ten years of command experience in construction and infrastructure projects of the whole project cycle (planning, design, procurement, supervision, public sector and government bodies work relationships etc.)
- demonstrated ability to provide advisory and consultancy services, especially in the field of technical infrastructure and construction;
- in depth knowledge in management, design and construction supervision of urban infrastructure projects;
- in depth knowledge and relevant professional experience in working with Yemeni local authorities on Governorate and District level;
- specific experience in preparing tender documents according to applicable procurement procedures is obligatory;
- in depth knowledge about work contracts and their stipulations;
- ability to collect, collate and assess information from different sources prior to disseminating relevant reports and conclusions.
- excellent analytical, interpersonal and communication skills;
- capacity to liaise easily in a multicultural and multilingual environment;
- high sense of responsibility and confidentiality and the ability to work in politically sensitive areas as well as in a big team;
- experience in dealing with international development cooperation would be an asset;
- good working knowledge of IT related software, computer applications (e.g. MS Office, MS Project and engineering software AutoCAD, etc.);
- digital literacy
- advanced communication skills; ability to explain complex problems to a non-technical audience;
- experience to serve a wide range of clients and multiple stakeholder interests at the same time;
- fluent in Arabic and English languages is mandatory
- willingness to travel to fields regularly
- willingness to upskill as required by the tasks to be performed – corresponding measures are agreed with management.
Please write the full subject line as indicated below, and send your application (cover letter) and CV in English and Arabic to the following:
E-mail address: firstname.lastname@example.org
Subject title: Advisor (Construction) - SRPL - applicant name
Please note that only applications mentioning the full subject title will be considered.
Deadline for receipt applications is: 15.06.2021
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted. Should you be invited for interview, you will be asked to present all certificates mentioned in your CV. You will also be asked to provide two relevant professional references to be contacted.