Position: Safety and Security Officer
Location: Sana’a with Regular Field Visits to Marib
Reports to: Project Manager
Duration: Till September 30, 2021, renewable based on fund availability & performance
ABOUT ADRA: The Adventist Development and Relief Agency is an independent, humanitarian agency established for the specific purpose of providing individual and community development and disaster relief. ADRA Yemen pursue a mission of changing the world by uplifting one life at a time. ADRA International serves 142 countries and was present in Yemen since 1995. It has more than 1200 aid workers serving in Yemen making it one of the biggest ADRA operations in the world. Its programs are supported by USAID, OFDA, The Japan Platform, DANIDA, German Foreign Office, German Humanitarian Aid, Sida, UNOCHA, UNHCR, WHO, WFP and DFID. It has presence in 14 Governorates in Yemen responding to all areas of humanitarian sectors. ADRA Yemen is undertaking programs in Yemen in the fields of health, child protection, education, women's protection and empowerment, NFI and food distribution, cash assistance, and livelihoods programming. Our work in these challenging settings gives rise to some of the most pressing issues facing contemporary humanitarian action, including questions of access, security, funding and coordination.
The Safety and Security Officer is responsible for management of the safety and security of staff, offices and programs of ADRA Yemen. The Safety & Security Officer also provides advice to the management team during the planning phase and supports programs department in ensuring ADRA has a respectable reputation among the communities within intervention areas.
The “Safety and Security Officer” will be responsible but not limited to:
- Exhibit full comprehension of the Security Policy and, ensure that the Security Management Plan and other security documentation is complete, effective, and understood by all staff.
- Support the head of sub-office in the setup and maintenance of a Crisis Management Team and Crisis Management Plan and support response to critical incidents.
- Attend relevant coordination meetings and develop strong networks to ensure ADRA is aware of the changing context.
- Monitor events, review incidents and coordinate analysis, follow up actions and recommendations to provide security updates which include situational analysis, actions taken and actions recommended to the management team.
- Monitor and assess the security situation in ADRA current program locations.
- Publish routine security reports to update head of sub-office on changes in the security situation and possible developments and recommend changes to procedures to ensure security.
- Ensure regular security updates are shared with staff groups on different media platforms.
- Authorize the secure movement of staff during conflict.
- Ensure security incidents and near misses are recorded and reported to the head of sub-office so that review of practices can produce lessons learned.
- Assist in conducting routine in house training on safety and security matters such as: fire safety, first aid and driver safety.
- Ensure that all new employees and visitors receive a full safety and security orientation. Act as the main point of contact for visitors and callers inquiring about security issues/concerns.
- Ensure security related equipment such as: medical kits, phones, sat-phones etc. are regularly accounted for and maintained in good working condition. Ensure that all vehicles are properly equipped, maintained and driven in a safe and secure manner.
- Work with the head of sub-office to design a suitably staffed and equipped transport function to support ADRA’s operations.
- Identify logistic requirements for an expanding staff and program portfolio and create procurement plans for: vehicle fleet, office equipment, communications equipment, security equipment and program material and provide budgeting advice during proposal development.
- Perform other relevant duties as assigned by the Direct Supervisor.
QUALIFICATIONS AND SKILLS:
- Bachelor degree in management, business administration or related field is required.
- Minimum 3 years of Experience of working in Safety and Security Officer Positions, Preferably in Humanitarian NGOs
- Excellent English and Arabic Languages (Writing and speaking) are required.
- Proficiency in MS Office (MS Excel and MS PowerPoint, in particular).
- Reporting Skills are Required.
We uphold the Humanitarian Principles; our key values:
- Integrity and transparency
- Communicating openly, clearly, timely and appropriately.
- Excellence in all activities