Contract type: Service Contract
Contract duration: 1 year with possibility of extension
Duty Station: Aden – Yemen
Application deadline: 21 January 2021 @11:59 p.m. (Yemen time)
The United Nations World Food Programme is the 2020 Nobel Peace Prize Laureate. We are the world’s largest humanitarian organization, saving lives in emergencies and using food assistance to build a pathway to peace, stability and prosperity for people recovering from conflict, disasters and the impact of climate change.
Aiming to feed 13 million of the most vulnerable people with food assistance, WFP’s emergency response in Yemen is the agency’s largest anywhere in the world. WFP also provides nutrition support to 1.7 million children and mothers and delivers school meals to 850,000 children each day.
Job holders at this level demonstrate responsibility and initiative to respond independently to queries with only general guidance. There is a requirement to use judgment in dealing with unforeseen problems on a daily basis.
To provide research and specialised communications services that support the creation of content and services aimed at maintaining and enhancing WFP’s visibility and reputation and supporting fundraising activities.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
DEADLINE FOR APPLICATIONS
STANDARD MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
Education: Completion of secondary school education. A post-secondary certificate in the related
Language: Fluent (level C) English and Arabic in both oral and written communication
Experience: At least 5 or more years professional relevant work experience in communications, marketing, advocacy, journalism or media production
DESIRED EXPERIENCES FOR ENTRY INTO THE ROLE
• Has demonstrated a sound understanding of WFP communication techniques and activities and awareness of the socio-political context in which WFP operates through day to day work
• Has provided ad-hoc guidance to new staff members
1. Perform specialised communications processes and activities, to support staff in the development, preparation, execution and dissemination of campaigns for target audiences.
2. Conduct research, suggest ideas, and provide coordination support to ensure the timely and effective delivery of video/film, photographic and radio projects. Manage the storage and distribution of audio/visual materials in accordance with relevant policies.
3. Serve as an information focal point, support and/or coordinate media coverage of events to optimise publicity of WFP’s activities.
4. Organise and execute special events, working closely with colleagues, external partners and media, to ensure events are effectively scheduled, publicised and attended.
5. Monitor traditional and social media, and report relevant information to senior staff to inform the development and/or evaluation of communications activities and strategies.
6. Under guidance, prepare content in English and Arabic for use on traditional and social media platforms and networks, and printed materials, to enhance coverage and support of WFP’s activities, ensuring consistency with corporate messages.
7. Distribute and promote communications guidelines for WFP staff to refer to when creating content and branded materials
8. Manage updates and further develop internal records and databases, ensuring information is accurate, organised and available for others to access.
9. Respond to specialised queries and requests for support, using initiative and following standard processes, to ensure timely and accurate resolution of all enquiries.
10. Maintain relationships with internal and external stakeholders, in order to provide an aligned, coherent service, and to identify opportunities to collaborate/integrate processes and activities.
11. Implement improvements to communications methods and practices, to contribute to a better flow of information about WFP’s work to the media and stakeholders.
4Ps CORE ORGANISATIONAL CAPABILITIES
|Capability Name||Description of the behaviour expected for the proficiency level|
|Media and Influencer Relationship Management||Demonstrates ability to respond to and/or escalate needs of media and influencers within own scope of responsibility to raise the profile of WFP, build relationships and further organisational aims.|
|Media and Communication Expertise||Collates accurate and timely information presented in required format (i.e. written or visual materials) as well as verbally, to enable information flows and informed decision making on communications issues.|
|Specialised Knowledge in Communications||Exhibits specalised technical knowledge of communications channels processes, tools and techniques. In immediate area of responsibility, provides support in developing written, visual, audio and multi-media content for communications materials and suggestions for improved communications processes.|
|Sociopolitical Contextual Understanding||Shows awareness of the multilateral/interagency environment and the dynamics in which WFP operates which informs approach to daily tasks.|
|Communication Strategy and Planning||Demonstrates sound understanding of WFP communications strategy and effectively implements tailored media and communications plans which support the delivery of the strategy.|