General purpose of the position
The Programme Coordinator will assist the Head of Mission specifically following the overall country programme development and management in accordance with INTERSOS’ country strategies, plans and policies.
The Programme Coordinator will be primarily responsible to ensure quality assurance and enhanced accountability.
Main responsibilities and tasks
Development and management of INTERSOS’ programmes
- Direct line management of the Project Managers and provide leadership and support to the INTERSOS programme team: capacity building, supervision and performance evaluation.
- Leading role in the development of a country strategy and programme design:
- Lead the definition of the programming strategy for INTERSOS with HoM and technical coordinators, in addition to develop an operational action plan and support structure.The Programme Coordinator will assist the Head of Mission specifically following the overall country programme development and management in accordance with INTERSOS’ country strategies, plans and policies.
- The Programme Coordinator will be primarily responsible to ensure quality assurance and enhanced accountability.
- Support the HoM to design the Country Strategy.
- Leading role in the development and management of a multi-sector and holistic resilience programme and ensure strong coordination between the different sub-offices, programme sectors and Project Managers.
- Define partnership strategy with national counterparts (CBOs, NGOs, local authorities, different line ministries, etc.).
- Lead the development of new concepts and proposals (writing of the technical part and contributing to the design of the budget) for existing donors and to seek new funding opportunities, under the supervision of the HoM.
- Input into the fundraising strategy, and coordination of fundraising opportunities alongside and supported by the Head of Mission.
- Ensure that programmes are implemented in a consultative, participative, and transparent and gender sensitive way.
- Ensure programme department is liaising with other department (admin-finance, logistics-procurement, HR, M&E, communication) for programme implementation and reporting to donors.
- Ensure active participation of INTERSOS partners in all steps of the Programme Cycle Management and strengthening partners’ capacities in pre-identified areas; including community participation.
Ensuring quality implementation of program and driving improvements in programme quality: Accountability and Monitoring, Evaluation, Assessment and Learning (MEAL)
- Provide a support and supervision to the Project Managers through regular field visit, meeting with the staff and the line managers, supervise the planning of the activities and programs. Organize internal meetings on specific subjects.
- Monitor and evaluate programme work to maintain and/or improve the quality, incorporating learning in the programme and ensuring achievement of desired impact.
- Provide monthly direction and feedback to Project Managers to ensure all projects have accurate and regularly updated financial plan, procurement plan, PAT, work plan, monthly reports and interim/financial reports (narrative and final).
- Supervise and review reporting, and when needed prepare reports him/herself: assure timely quality reports (internal and external; monthly, interim and final reports).
- Promote beneficiary/affected population centred approach.
- Work with team to develop innovative ways for community feedback (e.g. effective complaint mechanisms).
- Ensure external evaluations which are programmed and budgeted are executed, and information found is used for internal lessons learnt, donor reporting and proposals.
- Ensure proper follow up of monitoring results, sharing relevant results to senior management and having overall strategic awareness of programme impacts.
- Supervise, plan and monitor the work of the Quality (MEAL) Department. Ensure the Quality/MEAL Department delivers on the following aspects:
- Guarantee innovation and use of smart tools for the implementation of programmes.
- Initiate research on specific thematic aiming at building evidence for quality proposal development (assessment), programme delivery (monitoring/evaluation materials processing) and on change processes putting the affected population at the centre of the research (learning) and when possible evidences to feed joint leverage-advocacy efforts (INGO forum or at Cluster level).
- Ensure regular review of INTERSOS programming against Core Humanitarian Standards and promote a proactive integration of the benchmarks throughout the different phases of the project cycle.
- Ensure each project of INTERSOS is regularly reviewing frameworks and monitoring results against set indicators.
- Supporting teams in capacity building on MEAL.
As a transversal approach and indirect outcome: building effective programme teams:
- Leading role in reflection on collaborative ways of working within the team and with other teams, and role modelling these behaviours.
- Helping individuals and the team to achieve objectives through day-to-day support, monthly face to face meetings, regular team meetings, which include discussions of progress against objectives, giving feedback, challenges and encouragement.
- Supporting personal and career development of direct reports (and the team as a whole).
- Ensuring a secure, safe and healthy working environment.
- Guide internal capacity building efforts for INTERSOS teams on Accountability/MEAL tools (generic).
- Identify training and organize capacity building for the national and international staff (nationalization of the staff is a priority of the mission). In collaboration with HR and HoM, support the recruitment of the staff.
Representation, Coordination and Advocacy
In coordination with HOM and consultation with sector coordinator and PMs:
- Establish and maintain collaborative relations with relevant donors, local authorities, partners, project stakeholders and other organizations working in the project areas.
- Proactively engaging with donors, international NGO and other actors participating at coordination meetings.
- Represent INTERSOS in relevant meetings.
- Ensure INTERSOS representation in appropriate external programmatic forums/working groups/task forces and clusters.
- Cover the roles of Deputy Head of Mission in INGO coordination, in the absence of the HOM.
- Organizing monhtly programme coordination meetings with project manager and technical coordinator and bi-monthly inter-department meetings (with support department coordinators) and ad hoc meetings on ad hoc topic/issues/problems.
- Seek to developing strategic partnerships with local organizations, wherever possible.
Gap filling for project managers:
- During gaps in recruitment
- During leaves (annual leave or R&E)
- Progress summary of program - focus on challenges, risk mitigation strategies and working points for next month
To perform any other work-related duties if applicable.
Qualifications & Experience
MA in social sciences or related field
- Minimum 5 years relevant working experience in humanitarian project management with INGO, including direct financial management of project budget and implementation of multi-sectoral programming in complex emergencies, ideally including protection.
- Prior experience in working in complex emergency setting, involving displacement and armed conflict.
- Demonstrated experience in staff supervision and remote management (min. 100).
- Experience with monitoring and accountability tools and systems.
- Demonstrable experience in establishing and maintaining collaborative relationships
- Experience with Clusters and different working groups
- Strong representation and negotiation skills
- Demonstrated leadership and interpersonal skills
- Proven experience with donor compliance, proposal, budget design, financial management and reporting
- Good knowledge of MS Office (Word, Excel, Outlook) and other relevant software (ODK, KOBO, etc.)
- Demonstrated experience in staff supervision and remote management
- Strong experience with monitoring tools and systems
- Willingness and ability to deliver on reporting requirements related to this position – including reports drafting and review, related to gaps in resources
- Demonstrated training and coaching experience Demonstrate experience with integrated programming (health, nutrition, protection, WASH, etc.)
- Excellent written and spoken English
- Arabic would be asset (read and write) but not a must.
- Strong team spirit, comfortable in a multi-cultural environment
- Strategic vision and planning
- High flexibility
- Constructive critical thinking
- Ability to work and adapt in different environments
- Very strong interpersonal skills: strong communication and diplomatic skills
- Practical and problem-solver
- Ability to work independently while soliciting inputs from others on issues of mutual interest and/or linking back to mission vision and strategy
- Excellent analytical skills, observation and analysis capacity
- Ability to plan ahead and output oriented
- Able to ensure quick quality delivery in very stressful and confined environment
- Ability to adhere to deadlines and respect line management
- Ability to deal with heavy work pressure
- Ability to deliver finished products with high attention to accuracy, logic and comparative context.