Position: Humanitarian Access and Risk Coordinator
Location: Aden Hub
Reports to: Area Manager/Technical support from Humanitarian Access and Risk Manager
Duration: up to 31 December with probation period of three months.
About RI: Relief International is a leading nonprofit organization working in roughly 20 countries to relieve poverty, ensure well-being and advance dignity. We specialize in fragile settings, responding to natural disasters, humanitarian crises and chronic poverty. Relief International combines humanitarian and development approaches to provide immediate services while laying the groundwork for long-term impact. Our signature approach — which we call the RI Way—emphasizes local participation, an integration of services, strategic partnerships and a focus on civic skills. In this way, we empower communities to find, design and implement the solutions that work best for them.
Under the direct supervision of the Area Manager (AM) and technical supervision of Humanitarian Access & Risk Manager (HARM), Humanitarian Access and Risk Coordinator is responsible for assisting in development and implementation of the RI Safety and Security Risk Management System (SSRMS) policies, plans, protocols and procedures in Aden and other southern governorates (Aden, Abyan, Shabwah) and any other future operation areas.
This position requires a dedicated, experienced, and highly motivated individual capable of working in a tough environment while maintaining a positive attitude, leading by example to ensure a healthy work environment. The position will also require exceptional flexibility in job function to serve the needs of a new program in a complicated context. The humanitarian access and risk coordinator will implement effective humanitarian access and risk management strategy and systems ensure high quality humanitarian-development program delivery in Yemen. The humanitarian access risk coordinator will work closely with the Humanitarian Access and Risk Manager, Area managers, project teams in country to ensure implementation of appropriate strategies and risks measures to ensure the safety of RI staff, the premises and the access of RI Yemen humanitarian and devolvement program the people we serve in.
Essential Position Responsibilities and Duties:
The Humanitarian access risk coordinator is responsible to assist the south Area Manager and HARM to developing humanitarian access strategy, program risk analysis and program risk management, ensures that RI staff in Yemen are appropriately supported to implement program activities.
Tasks and responsibilities:
- Daily monitor, verify and analyse the evolving security situation in Aden and southern governorates from sources including NNGOs/INGOs, UN Agencies, media outlets, social media, personal network) and, when relevant and important, relay this information in written and/or spoken form to the AM, HARM and relevant RI staff members and management.
- In close collaboration with Area manager and field staff identify the risks in the working environment and projects locations.
- Ensure country program operate with effective humanitarian access strategy, contingency plan, risk management policy kit.
- Provide Humanitarian development program access analysis, based on RI Yemen program demands, in collaboration with Country senior management team and the regional management.
- In close work with AM & HARM, provide guidance, feedback to staff on humanitarian-development program access analysis, identify needs on access issue such as humanitarian negotiation.
- Participate and represent RI to access working group and maintain effective communication with Local authority, INGO, UN humanitarian access focal points.
- Maintain effective communication with INGO, UN humanitarian access focal points.
- Maintain a clear knowledge on travel requirements and clearance permissions needed to move and intervene outside of Sana’a city.
- Develop risk assessment and mitigation measures to ensure the safety of RI Yemen staff, premises, assets, and reputation.
- Assessing and analyzing the context in RI areas of activity.
- Training/briefing of the team on safety measures and SOP.
- Building relationship with relevant stakeholders in order to develop strong networking.
- Ensuring the necessary security systems are in place for all duty stations through regular visits to all work locations.
- Carries out security induction and briefing for new national staff and on arrival briefings for visiting RI staff on the general context.
- Facilitates acceptance of RI image by communities and local stakeholders through establishing relationships and promoting linkages between communities, project stakeholders and RI project staff.
Communication & Coordination:
- Coordination with MOPIC, MoPHP, MoFA, Immigration, Social Welfare & Labor Department to process/obtain visas, work/residency permits and other legal documents.
- Ensure all RI agreements/MoUs with the government partners are signed and documented on time.
- Ensure all permits from the government are issued beforehand, this is but not limited to travel permit, Airport and Port access permits, permit for visiting new area/assessments and workshop training//workshop permit.
- Ensure proper coordination and communication between RI and government authorities.
- Ensure no harm principles are followed from all aspects when dealing with different government sectors.
- Weekly update Expats staff tracker and visas/permits tracker.
- When applicable, follow RI teams’ field movements as per FTRs.
- Provide Safety and Security Briefing to new staff and visitors within 24 hours of their arrival to Aden Office.
- Assist in the assessment of GO TO places as per discussion with the AM & HARM.
- Provide expert advice during the recruitment of potential new Guards Service.
- Participate to the south HWG cluster and write short minutes with main updates on access situation in Yemen for the AM & HARM.
- Ensure good internal communications and the effective circulation of Safety information between the different team members.
- Implements an effective communications system to keep the teams informed about contextual, security and access related information that may have an impact on project implementation.
Qualifications and Requirements:
This position demands a dynamic individual with a demonstrated ability to achieve results in a demanding and fast paced environment. It is both very practical and technical in that you will be expected to produce results yourself, while also being strategic and require leadership.
- Degree in relevant area (e.g. humanitarian field, geopolitics, security …)
- Minimum 5 years in the humanitarian field with at least 3 years’ experience as security and safety officer for INGO or UN.
- Strong experience in context analysis and networking.
- Strong knowledges in requirements to work and move outside of Aden.
- Good skills in mapping using Google Earth and GPS coordinates
Skills and qualities:
- Ability to work under pressure with a high level of personal organization and flexibility.
- Good communication and reporting skills.
- Commitment to humanitarian principles and to HI’s mandate
- Strong interpersonal and intercultural skills
- Proactive, hardworking, and discreet
Required languages & IT skills:
- Working proficiency in both English and Arabic mandatory (oral and written)
- Strong command of Microsoft Office Package
We uphold the Humanitarian Principles: humanity, neutrality, impartiality, and operational independence. We affirmatively engage the most vulnerable communities. We value:
- Transparency and Accountability
- Agility and Innovation
- Qualified candidates meeting the above requirements are requested to send their CVs in English to Aden.email@example.com before midnight of January 24 for submitting their application with the vacancy reference subject :HR/21/05
RECRUITMENT IS URGENT: Interested candidates are encouraged to apply as soon as possible and not to wait until the closing date.
- Females Candidates are strongly encouraged to apply. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.