Job Title: Communication and Media Officer
Department: Program Department
Reports to: Program Manager
Location: Aden, Yemen
Global Communities is a global development organization committed to working in partnership with communities worldwide to bring about sustainable, impactful changes that improve the lives and livelihoods of the vulnerable. Development is not something we do for people; it is something we do with them. We believe that the people who understand their needs best are the community itself. Global Communities’ Department of Humanitarian Assistance (HA) has developed a strategy for the organization’s response to the Yemen crisis, anchored in a field presence. Specifically, HA is responding directly in Yemen, intensifying Global Communities’ assistance to vulnerable Yemenis. Global Communities, with its more than 60-year experience in over 80 countries, has the commitment to be a strong part of humanitarian response to Yemen by building up the capacity of vulnerable groups and strengthening their resilience to improve their living conditions with a long-lasting, positive and community-based change.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The Communication and Media Officer will be responsible for managing the communication and media portfolio including but not limited to, reporting tasks, designing and implementing documentary stories, photographic and video productions, covering and writing success stories, archiving of digital information and overseeing the general reporting and communications requirement of the Program Unit.
- Manage program communications and media activities, including preparation of success stories, case studies, press releases, and other internal and external program communications.
- Lead the documentation and media coverage of program activities, success stories and generate key visual content across a variety of platforms, in digital, analog or other formats.
- In coordination with M&E colleagues, prepare and submit success stories, conduct interviews with beneficiaries including videotaping and/or photography that is compatible with USAID requirements.
- Support program teams and develop communications materials on important events and activities as required such as designing of banners, IEC materials and vouchers.
- Assist in preparation and design of quarterly, semi-annual and final reports including infographics, success stories and high quality photos.
- Manage the production of video documentary stories and lead the process and coverage for program close-out events.
- Ensure proper archiving of all photos and videos related to program activities.
- Train and support staff to build capacity on media and communication skills.
- Travel to the field as required, possibly on short notice, to ensure media coverage is conducted in a timely manner.
- Create infographics that compellingly convey program achievements in designated activities.
- Additional tasks may be delegated to meet programmatic objectives depending upon changing circumstances of the program, donor requirements or both.
- Additional duties as assigned by supervisor.
EDUCATION and EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor's degree in graphic design, media, multimedia, journalism, public relations, or any related field is required.
- Minimum 2-3 years of experience working INGOs / NGOs in the field of humanitarian aid in a similar position is required.
- Excellent organizational and communication skills and teamwork-oriented management style.
- Fluency in written / verbal English and Arabic is required.
- Excellent analytical, problem solving and organization skills.
- Proficient in standard Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Outlook) and other standard software packages.
- Ability to travel within program sites, as required.
- Ability to work under pressure in existing operational environment.
- Sense of neutrality and ability to work across Yemen, in cooperation with all parties to the conflict.
- Strong background in photography or photojournalism with proven professional portfolio.
- Experience in producing media materials (writing stories, production of video and audio reports) and strong capacity to deliver these within short deadlines.
- Strong writing skills, preferably with a history of writing for media.
- Ability to produce high quality communication materials within tight deadlines.
- Ability to prioritize work to meet deadlines with minimal supervision and adjust/respond to changing situations while maintaining focus on delivery and follow-through.
- Strong digital skills in using social media (websites/Twitter/blogs/Facebook etc.)
- Good interpersonal skills and ability to develop and maintain positive working relationships.
- Ability to work creatively, effectively and in an innovative manner.
- Ability to work with digital equipment, cameras, filming and editing skills for short audio and video packages.
- Desirable skills in design and graphic disciplines.
February. 2021 to June.30. 2021 with possibility of extension.